We have created this policy as we understand the importance of you knowing how we collect, store, and use your personal information.
In this policy, “personal information” is defined by the Privacy Act 2020 (“Privacy Act”). In general terms, this includes any information that can be used to personally identify you. This includes but is not limited to your name, age, gender, address, contact details (including phone numbers and email addresses). If the information we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, then the information is considered personal information.
Use of information
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
• To provide products and services to you
• To provide you with information or advice about existing and new products and services
• To manage product or service warranties or guarantees, including product or safety recalls
• To communicate with you and process your requests
• To manage and enhance our products and services
• To personalise and customise your experience with us
• To provide you with access to secure areas of our websites, apps or notices about updates to the functionality of our websites
• To conduct competitions or promotions
• To verify your identity
• To provide it to third parties if you have authorised us to do so
• To conduct analysis across our businesses
• To conduct business processing functions for operation of our websites or our business, for our administrative, marketing, promotional, planning, product/service development, quality control and research purposes, or those of our contractors or external service providers
• To investigate if we have reason to suspect a breach of any of our terms and conditions or any suspected unlawful activity
• To help prevent unlawful activity
• To link previous actions that you have taken on our websites or in our stores with historic data that we have collected but have not been able to identify as yours.
• As required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act)
Your personal information will be stored securely. Your personal information will not be shared, sold, rented or disclosed other than as described within this policy or as permitted by the Privacy Act.
Collection of Information
We do this in a variety of ways, including when you:
• Purchase products or services from us
• Access and use our websites, apps and communications, including registration details and information relating to your use of the website and the services, such as the content you access (for example, the products you have viewed, or the search queries you input)
• Visit our office
• Call, email or interact with our sales and customer service representatives
• Complete an application for a product or service
• Enter promotions that we run or facilitate
• Interact with us on social media
You agree that we may also collect personal information from third parties, including:
• Third party companies such as credit reporting agencies, other retailers (for the purpose of preventing criminal behaviour), law enforcement agencies, and other government entities
• Contractors and business partners
If you choose not to provide us with the personal information described within this policy, then:
• We may not be able to provide you with the product or services you have requested, either to the same standard or at all
• We may not be able to provide you with information about products or services that you may want, including information about discounts, sales or special promotions
• We may not be able to tailor our content, website and communications for your preferences
• To research our users’ habits so that we can improve our products and services
• To operate our websites efficiently with a high level of functionality
• To measure the effectiveness of our marketing initiatives
• To learn about your preferences so that we can present you with web content and advertising that is relevant to you
• To measure the number of advertising referrals we have received to our websites from other websites
• To produce data on web traffic and customer web activity through our website or apps
Use of personal information for marketing
We may use your information to send you relevant updates on products and services, if you have consented to receive marketing materials from us. If at any stage, you no longer wish to receive these marketing communications you can unsubscribe by clicking the link in any promotional email and changing your preferences or contacting us at email@example.com.
We will not provide any personal information to an advertiser or any other third party without your express consent or in accordance with this policy.
If you receive communications from us that you believe have been sent to you other than in accordance with this policy, or in breach of any law, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information:
• To our employees, to the extent they need to have access your personal information for one of the purposes described above
• For the operation of our websites or our business
• For the specific purpose of fulfilling requests by you
• To provide products and services to you
• Where we are permitted to under the Privacy Act
• As otherwise detailed in this policy
Where we engage third parties to undertake services, we may provide those third parties with some of your information if it is required to fulfil those services and only to the extent required to fulfil those services. Examples of such third party providers may include, but not limited to:
• Service providers such as web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisers such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants
• Software providers such as customer relationship management and accounting software
• Existing or potential suppliers, business partners or joint venture entities or partners
• Sponsors, or promoters of any competition that we conduct or promote
• Specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us
We require any third party to protect your information against unauthorised use or disclosure.
In addition to the above, we release personal information only when it is permitted under the Privacy Act or required by law for legal compliance and law enforcement (including to government agencies with statutory law enforcement responsibilities, and/or to your Internet Service Provider or network administrator); to facilitate court proceedings; enforce or apply our terms and conditions; or protect our or your rights, property, or safety and the rights, property and safety of our users, or others, and where we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary. Government agencies with statutory roles enabling them to request data from us include the Police, Inland Revenue and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access or modification. If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information, please let us know immediately.
RIGHT TO ACCESS OR CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You hold the right to access or change any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. Your request will be processed in accordance with the Privacy Act.
If you make an access request, we will ask you to verify your identity. There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others, or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
COMPLAINTS ABOUT A BREACH OF PRIVACY
If you believe that we have breached this policy or the Privacy Act or you have any questions or concerns about this policy, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it.
We have a formal procedure for investigating and dealing with complaints. Once the Privacy Officer receives a complaint the Privacy Officer will commence an investigation with the relevant business unit. The investigator will endeavour to determine the nature of any breach and how it occurred.
We may contact you during the process to seek further clarification if necessary. If a breach is found, the Privacy Officer will escalate the matter to management so that the process can be rectified to prevent any further breaches from taking place. We will also contact you to inform you of the outcome of the investigation. We will endeavour to resolve all investigations within a reasonable time.
We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially.
You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.